Wednesday, February 25, 2009

#6 "Are you eating AGAIN?!"

I have found that the majority of people who use this phrase are men. There is the occasional woman who will trip over it on her way to the horror story but mainly this one comes from the male populace. No surprise really, it’s ok for a man to ask another man this question so he just doesn’t know any better.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard this one. I sit at a fairly public desk and I’m eating all the time because I get nauseous if my stomach is empty. Seriously, I’ve got food stashed in every drawer in my desk and I pull that stuff out any time I even think “hey, it’s been a while since I’ve eaten.”

I think that a hungry pregnant woman can be directly compared to a hungry bear. When tame a bear can basically be trusted while hungry but… once you put the food in front of them, it’s unwise to interfere.

Now, usually I’m craving fruit these days. It’s a good thing because it keeps the weight off for the most part and I haven’t gained a huge amount since the beginning of this whole thing. That is why I am always shocked and appalled that someone would DARE make a comment about the fact that I am eating peaches straight from the can. Uh, we are in a recession people, I could pour it in a bowl but what’s the point? It’s just creating dirty dishes! Water costs money, hello. All of that aside, peaches or other kinds of fruit are not fattening! Why do I get a “You’re eating AGAIN?!?!” for fruit?

If I were eating 9 cheeseburgers, ok. If I were having trouble fitting my triple chin through the head hole of my shirt, sure. Those are times when it is ok to bring up how much I am eating. But, as long as I look like a NORMAL woman carrying another human being in her kangaroo pouch I SUGGEST WE CUT THE REMARKS TO A MINIMUM!!! Whew, sorry… hormones.
Below I’m going to list a few phrases that might have been used in lieu of “Are you eating AGAIN?”. This list includes things that are STILL not ok to say but that I find prudent to mention. The folks that choose to make comments about this subject need the list.

1. “Didn’t you just eat?”
2. “You’re still hungry?”
3. “Wow, that baby must be hungry!”
4. “LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT PIECE OF CAKE ON YOUR PLATE!!”

Remember these next time you’re in the direct vicinity of a pregnant woman who is eating. You wouldn’t mock a hungry bear, don’t risk it with a pregnant woman either.

1 comment:

  1. Hilarious!! I can't believe someone would ever say this... wait... now that I think about it, I can hear my husband saying that.

    ReplyDelete